Medicinal & Aromatic Plants

Medicinal & Aromatic Plants
Open Access

ISSN: 2167-0412

Harris T

Harris T
Australian Institute of Applied Sciences,
337 Logan Rd Stones Corner 4120 Q

  • Research Article
    Can Herbal Medicines Improve Cellular Immunity Patterns in Endometriosis?
    Author(s): Harris T and Vlass AMHarris T and Vlass AM

    Endometriosis is a heterogenous, and oestrogen dependant inflammatory disease that is characterised by morphological and biologically active endometrium (composed of endometrial-type glandular tissue and stroma), that is present in sites outside of the uterine cavity. The disease is complex in nature with the implantation of tissue occurring due to phenomena known as retrograde menstruation. While this is considered central to the pathogenesis of endometriosis, 90% of women that experience this event do not have endometriosis, while the remaining 10% of this population do have endometriosis. The role of the immune system may explain why some women develop endometriosis and why others don’t. Alterations in the immune system (Increased TNF-α, PGE2 and reduced NK cells) have been proposed to play a key role in the establishment of endometrial implants and sustained its growth.. Read More»
    DOI: 10.4172/2167-0412.1000184

    Abstract PDF

Relevant Topics