GET THE APP

Breakfast Skipping And Its Effects On Emotional And Academic Behaviour Of A Group Of Saudi Medical Students | Abstract
Journal of Nutrition & Food Sciences

Journal of Nutrition & Food Sciences
Open Access

ISSN: 2155-9600

+44 7480022449

Abstract

Breakfast Skipping And Its Effects On Emotional And Academic Behaviour Of A Group Of Saudi Medical Students

Javaid A and Munir I

Background: Skipping breakfast is related to adverse effects on class attendance, academic performance, emotional status and mood especially in the age of childhood and adolescent.

Aims and objectives: A cross-sectional study was designed to find out the correlation between Skipping breakfast and its effects on the emotional and academic behaviour of a group of medical students.

Materials and methods: A cross-sectional survey was carried out among 100 medical students of first Professional MBBS at Princes Nourah Bint Abdulrahman Women University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. The study was based on a questionnaire and Students were divided into two groups based on those who took breakfast frequently (Group 1) and those who skip breakfast (Group 2). The questionnaire consisted of two parts. The first part of the questionnaire was based on the details of the type of breakfast and the reasons for of skipping breakfast while the second part included aspects of negative feelings and general academic performance of students.

Results: Factors associated with skipping breakfast in a group of Medical students showed that 40% usually take breakfast after 1-2 lectures. The remaining 60% only take lunch. The reasons for skipping breakfast generally included getting up late, not being hungry enough or not liking the food. Most of the breakfast skippers take food alone or with friends and their negative emotional status was significantly higher. Academic performance of students who eat breakfast was significantly high.

Conclusion: It is concluded that breakfast plays a significant role in the proper nutrition of students and has a high impact on behaviour and academic performance.

Top