Three years follow up (cohort) study via population based interve | 43935
Pediatrics & Therapeutics

Pediatrics & Therapeutics
Open Access

ISSN: 2161-0665

+44 1478 350008

Three years follow up (cohort) study via population based intervention on adolescent and childhood obesity and overweight at schools setting

Joint Event on 17th American Pediatrics Healthcare & Infectious Diseases Congress & 17th Annual World Congress on Neonatology

June 27-28, 2018 | Vancouver, Canada

Hamid Yahya Husain

Dubai Health Authority, UAE

Keynote: Pediatr Ther

Abstract :

Background: Obesity and overweight are recognized as major global public health phenomena. Its long term consequences are many of wide variety of chronic conditions including high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, stroke, cardiovascular disease, and certain forms of cancer; which in turn are primary drivers of healthcare spending, disability, and deaths, childhood obesity is complex and multidimensional, which has been identified as a public health priority It is also recognized that obesity decreases the quality of life and life expectancy considerably. Objective: To assess population based childhood obesity intervention over three year at school population in Dubai, To examine the childhood obesity intervention outcome. Methodology: About 2600000 students age range( 5-18)years grade( 1 �??12)over about 180 private schools in Dubai over three consequence academic years 2014-2015,2015-2016 and 2016-2017, BMI measurement as per CDC criteria and chart, WHO( mean + - SD)centile Body weight at the beginning of each academic year(September), wide variety of interventions been designed an applied e.g. health promotion, school Nutritional education activities, Food labelling, happy schools initiatives, 10/10 initiative physical activity platform, parents awareness, students health file initiative, City Makers(blue team initiative), community participation(private �??public partnership, Governmental stockholders intersect oral collaborations school cantin policy and guideline, BMI and other age and gender based BMI and centile measurement done at the end of academic year(June )for(3)successive academic years. Result: The current study revealed that about 8.7% of the total students population in private schools in Dubai were obese and about 1.4% of the total students were morbid obese in total of 10.1% of the total students were obese of different severity. The study showed that the prevalence of obesity among student population at private schools in Dubai during the academic year 2015-2017 was 9.05% the study showed 0.9% reduction of obesity comparing academic year 2014-2015 to academic year 205- 2016), the study reflected that prevalence of obesity among student population at private schools in Dubai during the academic year 2016-2017 was 8.2% which was about 1.3% less comparing to the prevalence of obesity during academic year 205-2016,). The study revealed that the trend of obesity prevalence among students population at private schools in Dubai is declining over that last three academic years (2014-2015,2015-2016.2016-2017) showing that about 2.2% total reduction the tree years period of applying effective intervention program. Conclusion: mulitdisplenary public health intervention for childhood obesity is successful in producing weight loss in the short and long term, when stakeholders brought on board effective means.

Biography :

Hamid yahya Husain is a Professor at Dubai residency training program/ Community and family medicine/ Arab Board for health specializations. Professor of Community Medicine and Public Health Medicine at Faculty of Medicine, University of Baghdad.