Awareness of antibiotic stewardship program amongst doctors of pe | 33973
Pediatrics & Therapeutics

Pediatrics & Therapeutics
Open Access

ISSN: 2161-0665

+44 1478 350008

Awareness of antibiotic stewardship program amongst doctors of pediatric unit

2nd Global Congress and Expo on Pediatric Cardiology & Healthcare

September 22-24, 2016 Las Vegas, USA

Fizza Hassan, Sonia Shahid, Mohammad Wasay Latif Sheikh, Sadaf Abdul Samad, Sheikh Mohammad Anwar Ali and Saba Siddiqui

Abbasi Shaheed Hospital, Pakistan
Karachi Medical and Dental College, Pakistan

Scientific Tracks Abstracts: Pediat Therapeut

Abstract :

Objective: To study the awareness about Antibiotic Stewardship Program (ASP) in doctors of pediatric unit of tertiary care hospitals of Karachi, Pakistan Introduction: Inappropriate antimicrobial prescribing is common and is a key factor in the increase of rates of drug resistance, which causes a significant public health burden in terms of morbidity, mortality, and cost. Antimicrobial stewardship programs (ASP) is designed to optimize antimicrobial prescribing, to lower costs, to prevent medication errors, to improve therapeutic outcomes, and to prevent the development of antimicrobial resistance. Given increasing trends in antimicrobial resistance and the resulting limited treatment options, the treatment of hospital-acquired infections poses a significant challenge to healthcare providers. Optimization and conservation of current antimicrobials are necessary. Aims: The aim of the study is to measure the knowledge of Antibiotic Stewardship Program (ASP) amongst doctors of tertiary care hospital. By doing this we can know that how many and how frequent awareness programs regarding ASP should be conducted in our tertiary care hospital. Methodology: This cross-sectional study is based on questionnaire which was filled by doctors of pediatric units of tertiary care hospitals. Awareness amongst doctors was determined by this questionnaire. Inclusion criteria: Doctors registered by Pakistan Medical and Dental College working in Pediatric unit. Exclusion criteria: Doctors who were conducting the study were excluded. Doctors practicing in local clinics or Primary health care centers were not made the part of study. Results: A total of 257 doctors were recruited in this study. Out of these Head of departments were 3.11% (n=8), Consultant, 10.89% (n=28), Senior Registrar 24.9% (n=64), Post-graduate trainees 38.13% (n=98), and Registered medical officers 22.95% (n=59). The percentage of awareness amongst doctors of Pediatric units was 85.21% (n=38), of which only 47.36% (n=18) had complete information regarding Antibiotic Stewardship Program. All the doctors enrolled in the study were willing to gain awareness of this program. 5.83% of the doctors had opinion that awareness program only might not help, a strict check and balance has to be kept on pharmacies and drug suppliers when issuing antibiotics whereas the rest 94.17% strongly agreed that awareness in doctors will be helpful in reduction in overuse and unnecessary prescription of antimicrobial agents. Conclusion: The successful implementation of antimicrobial stewardship strategies will have a significant impact on reducing targeted and non-targeted antimicrobial use, improving quality of care of hospitalized children and preventing emergence of resistance, thus, reducing morbidity and mortality in young patients.

Biography :

Fizza Hassan is a currently a final year MBBS Student at Karachi Medical and Dental College, affiliated with Karachi University. She has been a keen Researcher since high school and took part in many scientific projects at city level. She has attended several national and international workshops and conferences. She has taken part in many researches, which have been successfully published in international journals and many are ongoing. She is looking forward to a bright future in medical career.