Study of dermatological profi le of seropositives in the sub himalayan region: An Eye- Opener
Journal of Antivirals & Antiretrovirals

Journal of Antivirals & Antiretrovirals
Open Access

ISSN: 1948-5964

Study of dermatological profi le of seropositives in the sub himalayan region: An Eye- Opener

International Conference and Exhibition on VIROLOGY

5-7 September 2011 Baltimore, USA

Sumit Sen

Scientific Tracks Abstracts: JAA

Abstract :

Distribution and spread of human immunodefi ciency virus (HIV) in India is diverse. Apposite research can throw light on prevailing conditions infl uencing this morbid illness in a region. Darjeeling district located in the foothills of the Himalayas has only a single medical educational institution and it caters to a large number of suff erers pouring in from the surrounding hilly areas. A study of the cutaneous manifestations and the epidemiological factors governing all new HIV cases was carried out from 2006 for one whole year. Subjects� consent was obtained and permission of the ethical committee was attained.305 persons newly testing positive for HIV by enzyme linked immunoassay (ELISA) method were subjected to a detailed history and examined for any skin manifestation .Th e Fluorescence Activated Cell Sorter System (FACS) was used to record the CD4+ counts of all the respondents. Males comprised 68.9% of the population under study and females made up the remaining 31.1%. Most of the persons were in the maximum profi cient age group of 25-34 years.Candidiasis was the commonest cutaneous fi nding. Most people presented in the late stage of the disease. Patients without any skin manifestations had a higher CD4+ count (�p�value 0.0001). Heath care workers were informed that inhabitants of this remote area were seeking late counseling for this grave disorder probably due to ignorance, poverty and remoteness of their residence. Most of the subjects were unaware of effi cient contraceptive measures.

Biography :

Dr.Sumit Sen is an Associate Professor in the department of Dermatology and Venereology in ?Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research in Kolkata in West Bengal,India.He did his MD in Dermatology in 1996 from the University of Kokata.He has a diploma in tropical medicine and his area of interest is Molluscum contagiosum among HIV positive patients. He has published several papers in national and international journals. He is a reviewer of an indexed journal and is also serving as an editorial board member of repute.