Prognostic significance of coronary artery disease in heart failu | 53004
Clinical & Experimental Cardiology

Clinical & Experimental Cardiology
Open Access

ISSN: 2155-9880

Prognostic significance of coronary artery disease in heart failure with preserved ejection fraction patients

6th International Conference on Clinical & Experimental Cardiology

November 30-December 02, 2015 San Antonio, USA

Abdalla Hassan and Sorin Danciu

Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, USA

Posters-Accepted Abstracts: J Clin Exp Cardiolog

Abstract :

Background: The prognostic significance of Coronary Artery Disease (CAD) in Heart Failure with Preserved Ejection Fraction (HFpEF) is controversial. Despite the common concept that CAD patients have a worse prognosis, the effect of CAD on HFpEF is not completely understood. We aimed to analyze the prognostic impact of CAD in HFpEF patients. Methods: In this prospective cohort, we queried our institutional heart failure data base and identified 106 consecutive patients with HFpEF hospitalized for the first time for heart failure during 2006 and followed for 9 years. Poor outcome was identified as two or more re-admissions for heart failure, cardiovascular death, and all-cause mortality. Results: Women constituted 55.7% of our patient population, while men represented the remaining (44.3%). Mean age was 73.5 �?± 12.6 years. History of CAD was documented in 56.6% of patients. Overall, CAD was not predictive of poor outcome and cardiovascular death. Poor outcome was observed in more than half of HFpEF patients with history of CAD and in only about one third of those without CAD, 56.1% and 38.6%, respectively (P=0.1). Moreover, the number of the diseased coronary artery vessels on angiogram was not a significant predictor of poor outcome (P=0.17). Conclusion: Despite the apparent higher percentage of morbidity and mortality in HFpEF patients with CAD, the prognostic impact of CAD in HFpEF patient remains to be statistically insignificant. Large scale prospective studies should be done to revoke or confirm this hypothesis.

Biography :

Abdalla Hassan graduated and earned his medical degree from the University of Khartoum, Faculty of Medicine, Sudan in 2012 with the highest degree of honor at the top of his class. He was awarded with more than nine national and international prizes and awards (in Microbiology, Pathology, Forensic Pathology, Community medicine, Internal Medicine, and Psychiatry). He has the privilege of being an author in multiple ongoing papers, abstracts and case reports, as well as a presenter in many national conferences. He pursued Internal medicine because it fulfills his passion about helping people and solving multi-systemic complex problems that are very intellectually stimulating, and he is hoping to pursue a career in cardiovascular diseases.