Knowledge, attitude and misconceptions regarding vitiligo disease | 8872
Journal of Clinical & Experimental Dermatology Research

Journal of Clinical & Experimental Dermatology Research
Open Access

ISSN: 2155-9554

+44 1478 350008

Knowledge, attitude and misconceptions regarding vitiligo disease in Northern Saudi Arabia

11th Global Dermatologists Congress

November 14-15, 2016 Dubai, UAE

Ibrahim Ghazy Alreshidi

University of Hail, KSA

Posters & Accepted Abstracts: J Clin Exp Dermatol Res

Abstract :

Objectives: The aim of the study was to assess the knowledge, perceptions and attitudes of Saudi community towards vitiligo in Hail city, Northern Saudi Arabia. Methodology: This is a cross-sectional randomized survey performed in Hail City using a self-administered questionnaire. The study recruited 1004 volunteers representing students and employees of Hail University. The study conducted during the period from the 1st of April, 2015 to the end of November, 2015. The data were collected and analyzed using Statistical Program for Social Sciences (SPSS release 20.0). p<0.05 was accepted for statistical significance. Results: Of the 1004 participants, 440 (43.8%) were males and 564 (56.2%) were females. 231 (23%) ignore vitiligo and the remaining 773 (77%) knew the disease. 595 (59%) believed that vitiligo is an inherited disease and 409 (41%) mistrusted. About 73.8% persons stated prevention of marriage vitiligo person. Conclusion: The misconceptions and negative attitudes about vitiligo among public are generally prevalent. Raising public awareness about vitiligo could lead to increased self-confidence, psychological well-being and resulting in better adaptation of vitiligo individuals within the society.

Biography :

Ibrahim Ghazy Alreshidi is a Medical Intern graduated in April 2016 from University of Hail in Hail city, Saudi Arabia.