Salil K Das
Professor, Department of Biochemistry and Cancer Biology, Meharry Medical College
Dr. Salil K das is a Professor of Bochemistry and Cancer Biology, Meharry Medical College, Tennessee, USA. Elected Fellow of Association of American Advancement of Science (AAAS), and Member of Society of Sigma Xi, Ameri¬can Institute of Nutrition, Biochemical Society (London), American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, American Oil Chemists Society, and past member: American Chemical Society, Institute of Food Technologists, International Assoc. of Dental Research, New York Academy of Sciences.
Listed in the Personalities of the South (1975 ) and in Notable Americans (1975 ), Listed in Whos Who in the South and Southwest (1977 ), American Men of Science (1979 ) and in Whos Who in America (1979 ), Whos Who in Technology Today (1980 ), and in American Biographical Institutes Most Admired Men and Women of the Year (1994 ), Alumni Assoc. of Mass. Inst. of Technology American Chemical Society.
Honors and Awards:
• University Medal and Prizes for securing a top position in the M. Sc. examination, Calcutta University, 1961
• Cressey Morrison Award in Natural Sciences from New York Academy of Sciences, 1967
• FASEB Visiting Scientist for Minority Institutions (1980 ), Tennessee State Univ., Nashville, TN, Oct. 2, 1981, North Carolina A & T State Univ., Greensboro, N.C., Nov. 7 Nov. 11, 1983, Elizabeth State University, Elizabeth City, N.C., Dec. 5 6, 1984, Bethune Cookman College, Daytona Beach, Florida, Oct. 23 Oct. 24, 1988, Univ. of Puerto Rico, San Juan, Puerto Rico, Feb 26 March 3, 1989., Elizabeth State University, Elizabeth City, N. C., Oct. 3 6, 1990. Participated as a MARC Visiting Scientist at Alabama State University, Montgomery, Alabama, Oct. 19 20, 1989.
• Intergovernmental Pact Act Award (NIH) to work as a guest scientist in the laboratory of Dr. Phil Skolnick, Chief, Laboratory of Neuroscience, NIDDK, NIH, June 10 Oct. 10, 1985.
• Served as Consultant to the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Govt. of India under the United Nations Development Project (5/25/86 7/31/86).
• Ranked among top 7 most frequently published faculty members in the Science Departments at all Minority Institutions in the United States in the 1981 to 1993 period.
• Received "Hind Rattan Award" from the NRI Society of India, Sept. 24, 1994.
• Recognition as a teacher: Nominated for 1995, 1997, 2001, and 2002 Exemplary Teacher Award.
• Prof. S.C.Roy Commemoration Award from Calcutta University, Feb 8, 2001.
• Member of the MBRS Review Panel (NIGMS-NIH), June 5-6, 2002
• Co-editor: Review Book “Glycerolipid Metabolizing Enzymes”, Research Signpost Publishers (2002). Website: http://www.researchsignpost.com
Environmental Toxicology (Smoking, Mustard Gas) and Respiratory Diseases
Reactive Oxygen Species and Signal Transduction Pathways in COPD
Peripheral Benzodiazepine Receptors and Breast Cancer
Annexins, Adrenergic Receptors and Surfactant Secretion
Purification & Cloning of Cholinephosphotransferase
Cadmium and Breast Cancer
RBC and Sickle Cell Disease