Makki H Fayadh
Advanced Center For Day Care Surgery ( ACDS) Abu Dhabi-UAE
Keynote: Jour Hep Gast dis
• The incidence of colorectal cancer is increasing in the gulf area and it is the second killer cancer in UAE in 2017
• In UAE the data showed average age for colorectal cancer to be 51 years,59% were men and 41 % were women.
• In the Emirate of Abu Dhabi the Health Authority of Abu Dhabi (HAAD) instituted colon cancer prevention program in 2013 including primary preventive strategies by education, weight control& exercise and secondary prevention strategies by either colonoscopy or fecal immune testing starting at age 40-75.
• Our center ACDS advanced center for day care surgery in Abu Dhabi UAE , colonoscopies in 9 years period done for multiple indications are reviewed.
• Outcome study : 2012-2021 (single center experience ACDS)
• Of 9645 colonoscopies performed for multiple indications,2557 polyps seen26%
• 841 Colon adenomatous Polyps were detected 8.7%.
• 139 cancers were detected during this period 1.4 % of total colonoscopies, age range 29-81 years , 29.5% below 50 years ,22% below age 40.
• Colorectal cancer affect younger populations.
• The implications for the screening program is to review the screening age and possibly starting at younger ages.
Key words: colorectal cancer, colon polyps, colorectal cancer screening in UAE