It is defined as the release of radioactive materials into the environment like water, air and land by human actions in the form of radioactive waste. There is a lot of instability of the particles which present in the radioactive materials, it can badly affects, and even demolish the animals, plants, and human life. Living organism are highly exposing to different types of radiation in their daily life, these are known as background radiations.
Causes of radioactive pollution:
1. Nuclear Accidents from Nuclear Power Plants : Different sources of energy are being discovered in the postmodern world. Among them is nuclear energy, which, due to its high latent strength, is touted as the most efficient source of energy. The high latent power is due to its high radiation level, reports suggest. Therefore, its use is banned.
2. Usage of nuclear weapons as Mass Destruction Weapons (WMD): In the Second World War, the use of nuclear weapons and atomic bombs, a type of nuclear energy, not only describes the cause but also the harmful nature of radioactive waste or contamination.
3. Radioisotope Use : For the development of detectors and in other manufacturing operations, radioisotopes are used. Isotopes like uranium have high radiation concentrations in them. On the other hand common isotopes such as radioactive material containing carbon can be easily discovered via sewage lines in waterways.
4. Mining: Mining primarily includes the mineral ores being excavated, which are then divided into smaller, manageable parts. Radium and uranium, for example, are naturally occurring and similarly radioactive in the environment. Therefore, by shifting these materials from under the earth to the surface, mining improves the natural geological processes. Thorium, uranium, radon, potassium, carbon and phosphorus are other minerals with a hint of radiation.
5. Radioactive Materials Spillage : When ships strike glaciers or coral reefs and end up dumping contaminants on rivers and in the environment, there have been cases of spillages across oceans. Many of these substances have a large amount of radiation, including petroleum products, which can be harmful to the environment
Effects of ionizing radiation: When human body is exposed to radiations like alpha, beta, gamma and x-rays. It cans toxic and .dangerous. This harmful radiation affects the human body by 2 ways like Genetic damage- in this the breakdown of DNA molecule and alterations in chromosomes. Whereas, in nongenetic damage like skin burns, tumours, congenital disorder and even cancer.
Prevention: Some of the preventive measures are followed, in decreasing the radiations from natural and artificial. Proper process of hazardous waste disposal: There's already an amount of radiation in nuclear waste. It cannot, therefore, be disposed of in the same manner as usual waste. Unable to incinerate or bury it. This waste should be contained in heavy and thick concrete containers because there is a risk of seepage.
Production and use of radioisotopes has to be decreased.
Disposal of radioactive waste should be done far away from the living organisms..
Nuclear explosions have to be avoided in the environment. Etc.
Citation: Sreevani M (2021) Pollution and its Effects: A Short Note. J Pollut Eff Cont 9:272. doi: 10.35248/2375-43126.96.36.1992.
Received Date: Feb 01, 2021 / Accepted Date: Feb 20, 2021 / Published Date: Feb 28, 2021
Copyright: Copyright: © 2021 Akanksha P, et al. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.