Thomas W. Geisbert
Thomas W. Geisbert Professor Department of Medicine Memorial University Canada Tel. 709 7777301 Fax 709 7778279
Thomas I. Michalak, MD, PhD is a molecular virologist and immunologist at Memorial University, Canada. He is Professor of Molecular Virology and Medicine (Hepatology) and holds the Canada Research Chair in Viral Hepatitis/Immunology. Dr. Michalak heads up a center for research on hepatitis viruses.
1. Pathogenesis of hepatitis B virus (HBV) and hepatitis C virus (HCV) persistence, liver injury, cancer, and the immune system infection.
2. Woodchuck animal model of hepatitis B.
3. Cell culture models of HCV and HBV infections.
4. Preclinical evaluation of antivirals against HBV and HCV.
5. Hepatocyte-mediated cytotoxicity.